Thursday, January 21, 2016

The day she arrived (Part 2)

It was already past midnight - it was 13 January 2016.

The delivery ward was really cold but yet, I was sweating.

Told Mike to bring adequate clothings beforehand but yet, he didn't listen.
He was freezing.
Poor him had to sleep on a chair in the delivery ward.

Due to the excitement and also the itch I was feeling from the epidural, it was extremely difficult to sleep. Couldn't wait to meet the baby and to get over and done with the whole process.

Also, the nurses would be walking in and out to check on me on an hourly basis so it was pretty impossible to get some shut eye.

So many rounds of urine draining with the catheter took place with the nurse commenting that I have "a lot of urine".  Didn't drink much water apart from two cups.
The water was from the IV drip.

They also kept asking me whether I felt like shitting.
With my bottom half being numb, how would it be possible to feel any bowel movements?!

At 4.40 a.m., another dilation check was done.
I was 5 cm dilated.
HALFWAY more to go! Woo hoo.

However, at that point, the wait just seemed never-ending.
I was getting a little impatient and also worried at the same time.

I kept checking the monitor to see the baby's heartbeat and everytime it dropped, my heart would literally sink as well. Was very fearful if the baby would be distressed during my contractions.

That night, I prayed so many arrow prayers every other interval.
I know that there were so many who were praying for me as well.
Am so thankful for that.

At 7.10 a.m., my gynae came by to check on me.

I was already 7 cm dilated!
She also burst my water bag manually and added an extra drip to help keep the momentum of contractions going.

My gynae told me that she was monitoring the baby's heartbeat from home and said that although the baby's heartbeat is OK, it is not "looking too great" because every time I experience contractions, her heart rate drops a lot.

My gynae is pretty straightforward and doesn't mince her words. She told me that we will have to "play by ear", meaning that there would be a chance that I would have to go for an emergency C sec if need be, or at least, that was how I interpreted it.

After she told me that, I kept on asking Mike to continuously update me on the baby's heart rate.
It was getting too taxing on my neck to turn to look at the monitor.

I was also feeling worried once again with my gynae's comment when all of a sudden, I just thought of applying the breathing technique that I learnt in the antenatal class everytime a contraction came about.

To my surprise, I noticed that the baby's heartbeat didn't drop as low whenever I breathed with the proper technique! That was a huge relief for me.

At 9.30 a.m. - I was STILL 7 cm dilated. Le sigh.

Within the next 2 hours, the contractions became more intense and I started feeling a pain in my rib cage. I felt pain on my right side of the body in the morning itself while the left side was still numb.

More epidural was administered.

At 11 something a.m., the nurse came in to prepare the room for delivery.
IT WAS FINALLY HAPPENING!

My gynae came in close to 12 p.m. and joked with me to ask me to deliver by 2 p.m. because if not, she would have to reschedule her appointment to service her car -_-"

I was taught how to push and breathe during delivery and it was just like the movies. Haha.
The delivery was pretty quick and I was getting extremely light headed from holding my breath to PUSH! Had to take cues from the nurse on when to push because I could only feel mild contractions.

She would tell me - "Ok. A contraction is coming. Push!!!"

Managed to push the baby out in half an hour and I believe that there was definitely divine intervention involved because my baby's head wasn't in an optimal delivery position initially but my gynae commented on my baby saying that she was a 'clever girl' because she rotated her head to the right position as she was being pushed out.

My gynae even joked  after the delivery- "Are you sure this is your first child? Well done."

The delivery did not hurt at all - Thank God for epidural, seriously.

Even when my gynae told me - I will need to "cut you up a little", I was calm, only because I knew I wouldn't feel any pain.

Mike was supposed to cut the umbilical cord but he didn't manage to because the cord was pretty short according to my gynae and was near the baby's neck.

Welcome to the world, Baby Olivia! 

Wanted to cradle her when she was out but I was so, SO exhausted after delivery.

It felt so surreal to see her in front of me right after delivery, covered in blood and crying away.
I can never fathom how she was once as small as a sesame seed with a beating heart.
How can there NOT be a creator?

Took me awhile to get "settled" to cradle her, but it was not long before I called out to Mike to take her back immediately because I was going to barf.

Apparently, the nurse jabbed my thigh during delivery to intensify the contractions and the side effect of that jab is nausea. I puked at least 4 times after delivery and was shivering, because of the blood loss.

Suddenly, the long labour didn't seem as bad as what is to follow after that -
when the epidural wore out, I was in SO MUCH pain and I was feeling very, very down.

The only 'natural epidural' I had that made things better after delivery is my baby.

No comments: