Saturday, July 18, 2015

The unemployed life.

My number 1 reader (a.k.a the husband) mentioned that my blog has not been updated for some time and that he misses reading my blog. Talk about obsession - he sees me 7 days a week and still wants to read my blog even though he knows almost everything about my life -_-"

Hahaha. Was just kidding about him being obsessed.

I have so many things to write about actually. So many experiences to share. So much has happened over the past few months - for those of you who know me, the biggest change apart from being unemployed is being pregnant !!!!

I'll save the pregnancy stories for another time. Don't wanna be jumping all over the place with my grandmother stories.

One bedtime story at a time :)

4 months ago, in March, I served my 3 months resignation notice.
It took me so much courage to do it, really.

I've seen most people do it effortlessly, like - here's my letter see ya screw ya
BUT I had this invisible bondage towards my "job"
and I realised that the biggest bondage was because of pride.
Money came second after that.

So about the finances bit, I managed to get it all settled - thank God for that.

I had a housing loan outstanding and honestly, if I didn't manage to sell off the property,
I would most definitely still be working until today.
But the timing was just too perfect, a buyer was found, documents were signed
and my last salary received would be servicing my last housing loan instalment.

That was the ultimate deciding factor before I decided to resign - financial commitments. Even though my "pride" was holding me back, I had to be 'realistic' and practical at the same time.

I was initially all psyched up about leaving despite my housing loan because I had an immediate back up plan (ie. another job offer). I had everything all sorted out actually.

The "push-and-pull" pride factor was an internal battle I faced -
and a very silly one as well because looking back,
it really shouldn't have had been such a big deal at all
because it isn't.

I'd like to think that I was somewhat "groomed and brainwashed"
into thinking that I was working with one of the best organisations around. HA HA.
So there was this stupid pride which led to fear of not being a "part of it" any longer.

I had another colleague who resigned a few months before I did
and she shared the same sentiments with me.

I realised how I wasn't alone with my thoughts
but I managed to overcome it over time with so many people telling me how this organisation was really no big deal (those who left of course). Hahaha.

This job was my first job and can't believe that I've been working for the same organisation for 7 years.

Most people would tell me that it's about time I left to join another organisation
but honestly, after 7 years of being in the banking industry -

I knew for certain that I needed a break from this industry
and joining another bank was definitely not something that I wanted to do immediately
so I turned down the job offer.

Also, after reading countless of articles on "When is it time to leave your job", "How can you tell if your boss is a psychopath", etc, I knew for certain that it was time to say sayonara. I needed some form of change instead of whining and complaining about work everyday.

Once I submitted my letter of resignation, that was IT!
I felt . . . liberated and free and happy.
Was sad to leave my wonderful colleagues
but I was very happy and excited with what was to come!

During the months when I was serving my notice,
there were so many instances when I knew that I had made the right choice for myself
and the thought that I wouldn't have to deal with this sh*t ever again
made me even more eager to countdown until my last day.

The only love whilst working was the love I had for the companionship and colleagues.
Everything else, was not going to be missed.

Many have asked me whether I miss work -
and my answer is a clear cut - NO.

So what have I been doing of late? I'll save that as another bedtime story.
Until then, good night!

No comments: